Well, I have been tagged twice in the past week, but they are two different tags so first things first.
Cook Like Me
This recipe is the BEST and it is so tasty. It has taken quite a bit of refining and it is a secret but everyone that knows about my blog is a friend or family so here goes. My husband worked at a pizza parlor in high school and knows quite a bit about making a tasty pizza. Anyway, we figured out a good home made pizza dough recipe.
We use it for pizzas, calzones and strudel pizzas. The best thing is it is made in a bread machine. The recipe makes about 2 pounds of dough (a lot!). There is a big explanation under the recipe that doesn't make much sense. It would probably be easier if you called to get the instructions, but for those of you who don't want to call feel free to try it.
1 and 1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbs oil
4 and 1/4 cup flour (we use bread flour but it works with all purpose)
2 tsp salt
3 Tbs sugar
1 pkg rapid rise yeast
Place all ingredients in bread machine and let blend until thoroughly mixed. Be sure not to place the salt next to the yeast as it kills the yeast. It is best to put the sugar by the yeast. Do not let the dough go through the whole cycle. Too much kneading makes it tough (supposedly).
When we make pizza we usually make one large pizza (16 inches or so) and a small desert pizza (10 inches). For pizza, roll the dough into a circle about 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface, poke with a fork several times to prevent bubbles when cooking, and place on a well greased pizza pan. Let rise, we usually place ours in a garbage bag while rising. Top with your favorite toppings.
Calzones, my favorite, you don't have to wait for the crust to rise! This recipe makes about 4 fairly decent sized calzones. Separate dough into balls and roll out about 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick. Things we always put in our calzones are ricotta or cottage cheese, provolone, little bit of cheddar, mozzarella, pepperoni, ham, mushrooms. Start out placing your toppings on one side of your circle. Ricotta cheese, add your meats, then shredded cheeses, and end with any veggies you may like. Careful with fresh mushrooms as they produce quite a bit of water when baking. After "stuffing" your calzone fold dough over the toppings and flip so the cheese is down. Roll the edges over and flip back over so the veggies are on top. Then press with a fork around the edges to help seal the calzone. Cut three slices in the top to vent. We brush ours with egg white or spray with oil prior to baking. Egg white produces more of a crunchy top and the cooking spray a soft top. Bake a 400-450 degrees until a deep golden brown.
Sorry if this recipe doesn't make sense I tried to explain it as best as I could. If you have any questions feel free to call me as it is a lot easier to explain to someone. I could also give you the strudel topping recipe which is oh so stinking tasty!! Anyway, good luck. If it turns out right it is the BEST! Again sorry the instructions aren't the greatest. Since Aaron and I made it up I can't just copy it out of a recipe book.
Oh, now I get to pick two people . . . how about Melissa and Urs.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
TAGGED ~ COOK LIKE ME
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
mmmm-sounds good. I will have to try it next time we do pizza! So, with this tag am I supposed to just post a favorite recipe on our blog? Is there a specific category?
thanks for the recipe! so glad to be able to keep up on you and your family now that you have started a blog as well. your cousin, jessi
I think that you were inspired...we are going to make homemade pizza tomorrow-and I wasn't sure what dough recipe i was going to use! Thanks1
Post a Comment